What causes neck pain?
The neck is responsible for holding up the weight of the head. Because of this, the neck can be susceptible to injury and pain. A pinched nerve is often the cause for neck pain. A pinched nerve can occur when the vertebrae shift out of alignment and push down on the nerves. This causes pain in the neck and possibly the extremities. Vertebrae can shift out of alignment in a variety of ways, some being:
- Sleeping awkwardly
- Poor posture such as hunching over
- Your neck being forced beyond its normal range of motion
Can neck pain can be prevented?
Most of the common reasons for neck pain to develop can be avoided by using a few simple techniques. These techniques include:
- Maintaining good posture when sitting or standing
- Moving your computer monitor to eye level
- Sleeping on a firm pillow
- Sleeping on your side or on your back
- Getting regular exercise to maintain flexibility
When should you see a chiropractor for neck pain?
Chiropractors specialize in the muscular and skeletal systems of the entire spine. Treatments focus on restoring balance and maintaining alignment throughout the spine. Premier Chiropractic treats the 'desk worker' to the 'text-neck' patient and everyone in between. The unique exam process identifies the exact cause and focuses on a specific treatment program to get you out of pain, and correct the underlying problem. You should see a chiropractor for neck pain if:
- Your neck pain or stiffness does not improve after a few days
- You cannot turn your head without severe neck pain
- You take over-the-counter medications to treat pain
- You’re worried that your neck pain may have a serious cause
- You feel numbness or tingling in your hands or wrists
- Your neck pain started within a few days of a car accident